03 June 2009

Newport Report (by meechellee)

After months of training with my friends, the day has come. Saturday, May 30th, Newport, Oregon. The race started at 7:00 a.m. It was 55° and foggy. I was wearing a short sleeves shirt under a long sleeves shirt and long tights under short tights. While the rest of my girlfriends, including @SoloRunner looked half-naked compared to what I was wearing. I don’t like to start running feeling cold that’s why I bundle up. It only took me about a mile when I handed over my long sleeves shirt to my husband* because I was warm already. The first three miles, of course, was fun because the adrenaline rush was still there. I was running a decent 10± all the way to mile 9. By that time, the sun was shining so bright. We ran along the bay and even though it was a little breezy, it wasn’t enough to beat the sun’s rays. I was feeling really hot come mile 10, so I had to stop at a porta potty to take off my long tights. I was the second person in line and the gal who was inside the porta potty was in there for 3 minutes! So, by the time I was done, I lost a total of 5 minutes. Some of you are probably thinking, “You should have gone to the next porta potty.” Well, the porta potties were 2 or 3 miles apart. In any event, I clocked in 2:15 at mile 13 and started to feel and more and more tired and hot, so I slowed down. By the time I got to mile 16 which was the turnaround point, I got all excited, and told myself, “Only 10 more miles.” Yeah, right. My excitement didn’t give me any boost at all because at that point I was wading. I was really tired and miserable. Though not too long after the turnaround point, I was pleased to see @SoloRunner, Kathy, and Nancy again making their way to the turnaround point. I kept going and slowly passed mile marker after mile marker. I stopped a few times to stretch my legs and just to catch my breath. At mile 22, I wanted to cry so badly because I was so tired and miserable. It almost felt like I wanted to have tantrums. There wasn’t much I could do at that point so I told myself, "Just deal with it." I kept reminding myself that the finish line is getting closer. I continued on and just past 25 mile marker, I saw my friend’s husband who told me that my husband was just behind him. Sure enough, there was my hero! I saw my husband. That was the second time I wanted to cry because I was so happy to see him. My husband cheered me on and told me that after we pass 26 mile marker, everything is all downhill. And sure it was! Downhill all the way to the finish line. Whew! I survived!

Out of 800 runners who registered, 711 finished and I was one of them. I finished at 5:05:14. No PR this time but I was happy to be 2 minutes slower than my last marathon given how I felt during the race.

After the race, I asked my friends if they are going to do another marathon again. A couple of my friends including @SoloRunner’s response were, “I’m done.” I told them that I’ll check on them in a couple of weeks. I’m pretty sure they’ll change their minds. And my response to that question is, "Hell, yeah! "

My husband was supposed to run this race but he broke his foot in early March and his doctor told him that the next marathon he’s going to run is not until Fall.


  1. Nice report! It's good to hear that other people feel like crying and/or giving up during a marathon. I guess I'm not so alone after all. It was great to meet you!


  2. Loved your race rept. Congrats on your marathon! I've done 4 marathons and I understand so much how hard those miles can be after mile 16! It made me cry when you wrote about seeing your hubby late in the race. Very cool :) Again congrats on a great race and thanks for your race report.

  3. Nice job my dear friend.... Congratulation on getting the job done.. I think there were a lot of tears that weekend.

  4. great race report! congratulations on another marathon!

  5. Congratulations!! I would like to that race some day. Thanks for sharing your report. You did great!